Thursday, April 23

St. Louis Pork Ribs

I love the St. Louis cut better than baby backs or loin backs.  They're from the lower portion of the pig's rib cage so it has a bit more fat and connective tissue.  They need to smoke a little longer to render the fat but they are worth it!

Have them warm up to room temperature as you heat the smoker.  Pat down your ribs and turn them upside down.  Remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs.  Your body can't break it down and no amount of cooking will make it go away.  It just stays there like plastic so I recommend removing it.  I use the end of a spoon or fork to separate it enough I can grab it with a paper towel.  Be careful not to tear it as you pull it off.

Take your favorite mustard and brush a coating around the rack of ribs.  This will make your bark around the ribs.  After you apply your mustard then cover the ribs with the Pork Dry Rub (see previous post).  Add as much or little you'd like.

Heat the smoker to 225 Fahrenheit.  I recommend a charcoal/wood smoker. I use oak because I have a lot around the house (Stick with fruit and nut bearing trees and you'll be fine).  Make sure the oxygen is limited so the wood doesn't catch on fire; you only want it to smolder.  Any smoker will cook the meat but I like the rich, robust smoke flavor from a combustible heat source, but of course to each their own!

Smoke the ribs for about 3 or 4 hours.  The internal temperature should be 185 Fahrenheit when finished.  Grab the ribs with your tongs in the middle and pick them up.  The ribs should start to make a U shape and the top should crack a little but the meat should NOT fall off the bone.  Wrap in foil for 20 minutes so they are cool enough to cut.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment