Thursday, April 23

Brisket/Burnt Ends


Burnt ends are my favorite type of BBQ.  They take a long time but are worth the wait!

Buy a full packer brisket 11-14 pounds.  Typically you can find them at Walmart but you can ask  most any butcher if they have any before they carve them up.  A full packer brisket will have a fat cap, flat and point.

Trim all the accessible hard fat from the brisket.  This is found on the side of the brisket and runs between the flat and the point.  Trim the soft fat (fat cap) to no more than 1/4 inch thick.  I usually cut most of it away so the dry rub will hit the meat.  Apply the Beef Dry Rub to the brisket.  No need to apply it to the fat cap if you leave 1/4 inch as it won't penetrate to the meat.

Heat the smoker to 225 Fahrenheit.  I recommend a charcoal/wood smoker. I use oak because I have a lot around the house (Stick with fruit and nut bearing trees and you'll be fine).  Make sure the oxygen is limited so the wood doesn't catch on fire; you only want it to smolder.  Any smoker will cook the meat but I like the rich, robust smoke flavor from a combustible heat source, but of course to each their own!

Smoke the brisket until the flat reaches an internal temperature of 165-170 Fahrenheit.  Remove the brisket from the smoker and separate the flat from the point.  There is a thin fat vein that separates the two pieces.  It will separate easily with a knife and no real cutting is necessary.
Let the flat sit for 20 minutes so you can handle it.  Cut it against the grain in pencil thick slices and serve.

Take the point and apply the Beef Dry Rub (see previous post)to the freshly separated side.  Return the point to the smoker.  This will be your burnt ends.  I wrap it in foil so it stays moist.  Smoke the point until it reaches an internal temperature of 195-200 Fahrenheit.  Let it sit for 20 minutes so it will be cool enough to work with it.  Cut in cubes and serve.  Save the aus jus in the foil and spoon it on top of the burnt ends.  Enjoy!

Anatomy of a packer brisket, compliments of http://www.thepickledpig.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment