Thursday, May 14

Black Bean Soup

This is really really good, even though it doesn't look all that appetizing in this picture I took. That's because I added corn to my soup, which changed the color of it. You can also add corn if you want, the flavor matched well. (However, add the corn after it's blended, just stir it in. I think that would be better.) I also over-chopped my carrots, and it still turned out delicious. I served it with corn bread muffins and salad.
Give it a try! Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 large (10- to 12-ounce) onion, chopped
  • 1 medium (4- to 6-ounce) red pepper, chopped (I used canned)
  • 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
  • Salt
  • 2 cup(s) water
  • 2 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can(s) (14 to 14.5-ounce) reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup(s) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice

Directions

  1. In 6-quart saucepot, heat oil on medium until hot. Add carrots, garlic, onion, and pepper; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute.
  2. Stir in water, beans, and broth; heat to boiling on medium-high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes to blend flavors.
  3. Ladle 3 cups soup into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to allow steam to escape, and blend until pureed. Stir puree into soup in saucepot; heat through on medium. Stir in cilantro and lime juice, and garnish with cilantro sprigs to serve. Makes about 6 1/2 cups.
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/black-bean-soup-recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment